Instagram reels are fairly similar to TikTok videos, allowing you to create 15 seconds videos with music, text, GIFs, and more. Businesses, influencers, and marketers have begun using stories as a way to attract new audiences, get their viewers engaged, and strengthen their brands. If you have been hesitant to get started with IG reels or are struggling to understand how to create reels that will stand out and get the attention you hoped for you have come to the right place. Here we will go over the basics of creating your first reels then dive into how you can take them to the next level and create epic reels on Instagram!
How To Create Instagram Reels
Creating an IG reel is a fairly simple process but it does take some trial and error to fully understand how to effectively use all the features. Here’s a quick guide to getting started:
- Click on the camera button as you would to add a story.
- At the bottom, you will see three options: Live, Story, and Reel. Swipe to the Reels option. (If you don’t see the Reels option you probably need to run an update to get the latest version of Instagram)
- From here you will notice a few options on the left side of your screen:
- Click the music notes to add music. You can choose which exact part of the song you want to use as the background audio for your reals. Remember you can only use 15 seconds of the music for your reels.
- The play/pause looking button is to adjust speed. Click this option to slow down or speed up your videos. You can add slow motion and fast motion to any of your clips.
- The smiley face icon is to add filters to your video.
- The timer button is the most important. You don’t have to use this option if you just want to record a single 15-second clip as your reel. If you plan to edit two or more clips you need to set the timer of your clips first. Click on the timer button and you will see a slider bar at the top of your screen. YOu can adjust this so you only record the length of time you desire for each clip. For instance, if you want your first clip to run just two seconds before transitioning to the next you will slide the bar to the two-second spot. Using the timer option allows you to take advantage of a three-second countdown so you can get yourself in the proper position before recording starts. After you have set your time click on the set timer option to begin recording. You can record any number of clips until you reach your 15-second limit.
* When you go to record a second clip don’t forget to set your timer again to record the right length. Also, use the align tool to line up your clips.
Once you have your reels completed you can add text and other elements just as you would with an IG story. To preview your video tap on the right arrow if you are happy with it click on the Share options. Here you will enter a caption to go along with your IG Reel, you can also choose to have your reel shared in the Reels explore feed so more people can find it. Then, post it as you would a regular IG story.
Now that you know the basics of creating a reel you can begin to experiment with the reels features. Below you will find ideas to try out to create unique, entertaining,and informative reels.
Best Tips to Create Instagram Reels
1. Use Transitions
This has been an effective way for many fashion and beauty brands to show off outfits and looks. Transitions have also been used in a number of creative ways to create fun dance-off challenges, before and after product testimonials, and so much more. You can use the align feature to line up your clips so that they slightly overlap and will transition from one clip to another as if done by magic. This is how many are creating those quick outfit changes, high five clips, and showcasing different people using the same product as it slides from one setting to another.
2. Add Effects to You Instagram Reels
You can bring your reels to life with added animations. While Instagram provides you with basic editing tools you can easily add-in many of your own and upload your own video clips. You can edit your videos or images using programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, or Final Cut to name a few. Some great templates to check out to use for your IG reels can be found here. They are easy to use and even those who have no editing experience will be able to drag and drop into the pre-made templates and files!.
Once you’re done editing you can upload it to your IG Reels from your camera roll.
To add your own video clips go into the reels option on your IG stories. Then swipe up so you can access your camera roll. Once you find your clip in your camera roll tap on it, then you can choose what part of the video you want to use (if it is longer than 15 seconds) then click on the checkmark. Now you can add audio and other elements just as you would to a traditional IG story.
3. Create AR Filters
AR filters are augmented reality filters or computer-generated graphics that superimpose. These filters are added to the foreground or background of your original image, like the sunglass filters that make it look like you are wearing sunglasses. Before, these filters couldn’t be easily created and added to your stories, aside from the ones provided in the IG effects. Now, you can create your own!
Using an app like Spark AR Studios you can create customized AR effects to use on any of your IG reels. The best thing is that you don’t need to know how to code yourself, they provide plenty of tutorials to get you started so you can create face tracking effects and much more.
Learn more about Spark AR studios here and download it today.
4. Have a Plan
Instagram reels are only 15 seconds long and you need to use that time effectively. The timer feature allows you to track exactly how much time you are using for each clip. The most successful reels are ones that are entertaining, informative, and engaging. Start with a quick two-minute intro or hook to grab people’s attention. Then piece together three to four clips that get straight to the point. Once you are done recording, go back to add text and stickers.
5. Have Fun
IG reels that are fun, creative, and well planned will get you more attention. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the different tools, combine ideas, and think outside the box. Let your audience get to know you more and see your personality shine through your reels. Let your audience see you having fun and they will be more inclined to check back on your stories to see what else you are doing.