Yesterday, Apple unveiled their latest iPhones and the camera specs are simply incredible. We wanted to take some time to share what’s new with the iPhone. Especially related to the cameras and photography updates.
From Apple’s news release:
For the first time ever, the Pro lineup features a new 48MP Main camera with a quad-pixel sensor that adapts to the photo being captured, and features second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization. For most photos, the quad-pixel sensor combines every four pixels into one large quad pixel equivalent to 2.44 µm, resulting in amazing low-light capture and keeping photo size at a practical 12MP. The quad-pixel sensor also enables a 2x Telephoto option that uses the middle 12 megapixels of the sensor for full-resolution photos and 4K videos with no digital zoom. This delivers optical quality at a familiar focal length, which is great for features like Portrait mode. The quad-pixel sensor also brings benefits to pro workflows, optimizing for detail in ProRAW. And with a new machine learning model designed specifically for the quad-pixel sensor, iPhone now shoots ProRAW at 48MP with an unprecedented level of detail, enabling new creative workflows for pro users.
Additional pro camera system upgrades and features include:
- A new 12MP Ultra Wide camera with 1.4 µm pixels, which delivers sharper images with more detail, improving already powerful macro photography capabilities.
- An improved Telephoto camera that offers 3x optical zoom.
- A new front TrueDepth camera with an ƒ/1.9 aperture that enables better low-light performance for photos and video. Using autofocus for the first time, it can focus even faster in low light and capture group shots from farther away.
- A new Adaptive True Tone flash that has been completely redesigned with an array of nine LEDs that change pattern based on the chosen focal length.
- Powerful computational photography benefits like Night mode, Smart HDR 4, Portrait mode with Portrait Lighting, Night mode Portrait photos, Photographic Styles to personalize the look of every photo, and Apple ProRAW.
- A new Action mode for incredibly smooth-looking video that adjusts to significant shakes, motion, and vibrations, even when video is being captured in the middle of the action.
- Cinematic mode, now available in 4K at 30 fps and 4K at 24 fps.
- Pro-level workflows for video, including ProRes3 and end-to-end Dolby Vision HDR.
Photos from the new 48MP Camera on iPhone
Take a look at these amazing photos from the new iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max. All photos from the Apple Newsroom.
The new 48MP Main camera allows users to go beyond the three fixed lenses, adding a new 2x Telephoto option that offers a familiar focal length that’s great for Portrait mode.
The quad-pixel sensor optimizes for detail in ProRAW images, offering a 48MP image for even more detail and creative control.
Taking computational photography to the next level, the new pro camera system on iPhone delivers stunning images in Portrait mode.
The new Ultra Wide camera offers even better macro photography capabilities, and with Photonic Engine, it performs up to 3x better in mid- to low-light environments.
The 48MP Main camera has a quad-pixel sensor — a first for iPhone — and offers 20 percent better light gathering for more detail and less noise.