Last week one of our readers, Pierre, left a comment inquiring about my curves settings in this tutorial. He brought up a great point: curves are tricky.
Getting the right look within curves takes a lot of practice and quite a bit of patience.
Because of this, I decided to make a little set of free curves presets for everyone to use! These are my go to settings for curves and help shape many of the actions we sell. They’ll help you save some time when getting started with curves and can be a bit of a visual guide for you when editing to your own style.
Below is a before and after showing one of the five curves presets included in the free download. Displayed on this beautiful image from Unsplash.
This free set of curves presets includes five effects: brighten, darken, fade, matte, and contrast. As their names suggest, they all center around light and will help you adjust the extent of it in your photography.
Keep in mind the effects of curves presets are very subtle. I strongly recommend starting out with these presets and editing to your own liking so that the effect is powerful enough for your photo. Download your free copy by clicking the button below.
If you need a bit of help installing your new curves presets, keep reading. :)
How to Install Curves Presets in Photoshop
- Open Photoshop and select File > Open.
- Next, choose your photo and open it within Photoshop.
- Now go to the Adjustments Panel and create a new curves layer.
- Within the Curves Panel, select the dropdown and click the “Load “Curves Preset…” text.
- Next navigate to the free curves presets download and select one of the presets. It looks something like this “matte.acv”.
- This will then load the selected preset on your curves layer and apply it to your photo.
- All done!