Photoshop actions are pretty amazing. They can turn your photo into a vintage masterpiece or an intense image with the click of a button. Today I want to dig a little deeper and explain some of the unknown details related to Photoshop actions such as how they work, advantages to using them, and more.
If you’re having trouble with Photoshop actions, or just want to learn a bit more about them, this is the article for you.
What are Photoshop actions?
Photoshop actions are installable effects that can quickly and professionally improve your photo with the click of a button. They are replicated effects that can be passed on to others and are fantastic time-savers.
How do Photoshop actions work?
Photoshop actions are recorded “actions” or processes done to an image or document in Photoshop that are then saved and can be applied to other photos or documents.
They work by recording the editing process, the addition of effects or styles, and then save them to be used over and over again on any photo, design, or Photoshop document.
Advantages of Photoshop actions.
Working with Photoshop actions has proven to be amazing for me. Here are a few of the advantages I found while using them.
- Save time and speed up your workflow in Photoshop.
- Improve your photos and designs.
- Create unique images with flare.
- Makes editing your photos fun and interesting.
- Have the power of professionals at the click of a button.
- Create consistent images with the same effect.
Disadvantages of Photoshop actions.
While there are many advantages to using Photoshop actions, there are a few disadvantages I found depending on your situation.
- They don’t do it all. While they can be the extent of your effects, I prefer to think of them as a base or addition to your editing process.
- Sometimes they don’t work if made improperly. You don’t have to worry about that with FilterGrade though. :)
- They are addictive! That’s all I’m going to say about that.
Who can use Photoshop actions?
Virtually anyone with a copy of Photoshop can utilize Photoshop actions, but here are a few specific industries actions are extremely useful for.
- Amateur and Professional Photographers.
- Bloggers, Fashion Bloggers, and Wedding Bloggers.
- Facebook and Pinterest Addicts.
- Lifestyle Brands and Creative Magazines.
- Creative People such as Designers and Artists.
Photoshop actions are often confused with…
Actions are often confused with the other amazing features in Photoshop such as filters and various plug-ins. The difference here is that actions run within Photoshop and don’t need any extra program to work.
Plug-ins are often separate programs installed to work with Photoshop.
Filters work in Photoshop, but they aren’t one-click effects, they are customizable editing tools that are often challenging and much more advanced than the average adjustment layers that come in Photoshop.
The coolest thing about Photoshop actions is their flexibility. They are a much cheaper solution to professional photo editing and often can produce the same, or better results. They can also be reused, customized, and combined to create unique effects.
Resources for getting started.
Now that you have a solid understanding of Photoshop actions, I thought it would be smart to give you some solid resources to further your experience with them.
- Check out our tutorial teaching you How to Install Photoshop Actions and our other tutorial for Organizing Photoshop Actions.
- Try out the FilterGrade Mini-Collection, a free test kit of our Photoshop actions.
- Once you get serious about Photoshop actions, I highly suggest grabbing the FilterGrade Bundle.
As you probably have discovered by reading this article, Photoshop actions are really versatile and useful for everyone. They can edit your photos in seconds and do it with amazing results. All in all, Photoshop actions are pretty awesome.