Drones have become an essential piece for some filmmakers and they are becoming more and more dominant in the industry every year. This year, Boston will be hosting its annual Drone Film Festival in November with some incredible awards and prizes including a free week long road trip, a backpack full of camera gear, and more! Continue below for more info about the 2020 Boston Drone Film Festival!
When & Where?
The 2020 Boston Drone Film Festival will be held on November 13-14th at the WGBH in Brighton, MA. The Film Screening portion will be held at Guest St. in Brighton, MA. The Drone Camp, which is on November 14, 2020 will be held at Red Sky Studios in Allston, MA (184 Everett St. Allston, MA).
- When: November 13, 2020
- Where: Currently TBA – plans to be at WGBH (Brighton): 415 Summer St, Boston, MA 02210
- When: November 14, 2020
- Where: Red Sky Studios – 184 Everett St. Allston, MA
Prizes & Awards
Last year, the Boston Drone Film Festival offered some incredible prizes that were donated by sponsors including Autel Robotics, Anker, Pelican Case, ThinkTank, Soundstripe, LensProToGo, and more! The GRAND Prize winner (selected from one of the category winners) will win a week long road trip, along with a backpack full of the best photography, videography, & drone equipment one could ever want!
Last year’s GRAND prize trip was 10 days from Colorado to California, traveling through some of the country’s most scenic locations in Utah and Arizona.
Find all 2019 PRIZES on Film Freeway HERE:
A 10 Day All-Inclusive Travel Adventure will be awarded to the Grand Prize Winner! We’ll fill your luggage will all the goods from our sponsors including the newest released EVO Drone from Autel Robotics, an ANKER Powerhouse400, the full software setup from Boris FX, a THINKTANK Streetwalker V2.0 Backpack, a $500 LensProToGo gear credit, a Ronin SC gimbal, and much more! Set out to get the best footage you can imagine from mountains, oceans, canyons, big cities in the great Southwest USA. Our crew from Above Summit will guide you on this road-trip and bring to the the fore front of adventure with tours, lessons in something new, and experiences you’ll never forget.
Our category winners will be given various software packages, gear credits, drones, 360 cameras, power banks, speakers and much more from our amazing sponsors: Anker Innovations, Autel Robotics, LensProToGo, SGO Mistika, Boris FX, Insta360, Pelican, Blacksheep FPV, Brain FPV, BQE, Shendrones, ThinkTank, Soundstripe, Foxeer, CNHL, Dalprops, Zacuto, and many more!
Submitting Your Work
Submissions for the 2020 Boston Drone Film Festival are now open and will be discounted for early submission until May 31st. The deadline for all submissions will be on September 21, 2020.
To submit your work to the 2020 Boston Drone Film Festival, you’ll first need to adhere to the following criteria below:
- All filmmakers must be 18 years or older in order to enter*
All Film Submissions must be 5 MINUTES OR LESS and INCLUDE AT LEAST 50% DRONE FOOTAGE
All 360° (Photography + Video) & Photography Submissions MUST BE TAKEN USING A DRONE
*All Student Filmmakers entering the Student Film Category, must have a Film Freeway account associated with university email address.
Now that you have an understanding of the film festival and their requirements, you’re probably wondering how to submit your work. Find the submission portal and submission prices for the 2020 Boston Drone Film Festival below. *Also, be sure that you are using #BOSDFF on social media and your work could get featured on the Boston Drone Film Festival Social Media Pages!
Nominees will be announced on OCTOBER 12, 2020
The TOP 4 ranking films in each category will be nominated for a category winner.
All filmmakers will receive an email from Film Freeway notifying them of their judging status.
Nominees will be chosen by a Jury of leading producers, directors, drone operators, photographers and creatives.
If nominated, exhibition format digital files and additional information will be requested from the authors.
- DOCUMENTARY /Give us your most thought provoking story about real life, real people, and real events.
- LANDSCAPE / Shows us dynamic and jaw dropping landscapes, from your aerial view.
- URBAN / Tell us the hidden story of perspective, within the heart of a city.
- SPORTS / High energy, fast paced, adrenaline boosting. Make us believe we’re the athlete being filmed.
- SHOWREEL / Combine all your greatest shots into a film that truly packs a punch.
- SINGLE TAKE / The magic is crushing it on the first try. One battery, no problems.
- CINEMATIC FPV / The smooth and steady establishing shot missing from major motion pictures.
- FREESTYLE FPV / What tricks and flips do you have up your sleeve? So dizzying we’ll have trouble telling which way is up.
- FILM EDITING / A film is only as good as the edits it’s made up of. Post is where things come together and magic happens.
- STUDENT FILM / Show us how much you’ve learned and how far you’ll go to get that perfect shot.
- 360° VIDEO / Take us on your 360 aerial journey, allowing us to see every angle from above.
- 360° PHOTOGRAPHY / Immersive spheres and tiny planets capturing the world like never seen before.
- NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY / From vast landscapes to incredible wildlife, take us into the wild.
- ARCHITECTURE PHOTOGRAPHY / Sharp angles and clean lines, all captured from the air.
The People’s Choice Award
All nominated films will be uploaded to the BOSDFF Youtube Channel
TO VOTE: “Like” your favorite film and comment to tell us why it should win!
The People’s Choice Award will be voted on ONLY by the online community, with the Winner announced at the Boston Drone Film Festival Screening (November 13th, 2020)
Watch the 2019 People’s Choice Award Winning Film below:
For more information visit the Boston Drone Film Festival Website! We hope to see you there :)